There are many reasons for itchy skin. In winter, the common cause is dry skin, but it can also be a result of a skin condition like eczema, psoriasis or ringworm, or as a result of contact dermatitis. To help prevent and relieve itchy skin, Dr. Erik Alexander, board-certified dermatologist at Forefront Dermatology, suggests the following simple prevention and relief tips:
• Bathe with lukewarm water for less than 10 minutes
• Use fragrance-free, hypoallergenic lotions, soaps and/or detergents to minimize irritation
• Wear loose-fitting, cotton clothes to avoid rubbing
• Maintain a level humidity environment in your house through use of a dehumidifier and humidifier (depending the season)
• Reduce stress to avoid trigger flares in the case of skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis
• Apply a cold, wet cloth or ice pack to the itchy area
• Take an oatmeal bath, especially if you have blisters
• Apply a fragrance free moisturizer
• Apply an anti-itch, hydrocortisone cream
• Apply cooling agents, such as calamine or aloe vera
• Avoid scratching to minimize further irritation
If your itch does not go away with home treatment, see a board-certified dermatologist. Your itchy skin may be a result of a more serious skin condition that needs a proper treatment plan.
At Forefront Dermatology, we know that life is all about the moments when you don’t need us. That’s why we’re here for all the moments when you do. We offer comprehensive and compassionate care for all skin conditions and create customized treatment plans for all ages – even the tiniest of patients! Find a location near you today.