Wrinkles have a reputation for creeping up on us when we least expect it. Seeing these wrinkles become more apparent can take a toll on our self-confidence. Fear not though, there are plenty of methods to treat the unwanted wrinkles, with a range to suit all budgets.
Dr. Marjorie F. Yang, board-certified dermatologist with Forefront Dermatology, shares four methods that can help reduce the appearance of unwanted wrinkles. Her suggestions range from simple at-home method to cosmetic treatments:
- Anti-wrinkles creams are designed to both prevent wrinkles from occurring and to reduce the appearance of those that have formed. Many anti-aging creams are known as “pro-collagen” creams that contain ingredients to promote your skin’s collagen production, which naturally declines as you age. Topical retinoids is a good first-line topical treatment for photo-aging. Anti-wrinkle creams containing antioxidants, vitamins C and E, hyaluronic acid, or plant extracts are also good adjuncts to retinoids.
- Chemical peels are a great, non-invasive option to help remove dull surface cells, improve fine lines and wrinkles, and reduce sunspots and discoloration. Chemical peels increase collagen production and remove the top layer (s) of the skin revealing a smoother, more radiant complexion. There are multiple different strengths of chemical peels that range from surface level peels to deeper peels. A consultation with your dermatologist will help determine which type of chemical peels will best target your needs.
- Muscle Relaxers such as Botox®, Dysport®, Xeomin® are used for the treatment for facial wrinkles. These products are natural chemicals derived from bacteria and is used to relax facial muscles, softening the expressions that cause wrinkling of the skin over time. These are commonly placed on the forehead, frown lines and smile lines. It is best performed by a board-certified dermatologist with extensive experience in providing cosmetic treatments.
- Dermal Fillers are a similar concept to the muscle relaxers, only instead of relaxing the muscles they fill the lines and creases to smooth your skin. Fillers are versatile and can be used to replace lost volume in the cheeks, lips, and temples, helping to improve skin texture and appearance. Fillers can last between 4 months to 16 months, giving you fast results at a fraction of the cost of a facelift.
- Laser or Light-based energy devices promote healing and regeneration of skin cells by increasing production of collagen. While in some cases, a single laser treatment will take care of a patient’s concerns, most require a series of treatments to produce the most satisfying results.
Preventing Further Wrinkles
In addition to eliminating your existing wrinkles, it is important to prevent further wrinkles from developing. No matter what age you are, taking good care of your skin and protecting it from damage will set you up for a better future. These are Dr. Yang’s top tips for preventing further wrinkles:
- Rain or shine wear at least SPF 40 or higher sunscreen, wear wide-brimmed hats, and avoid prolonged sun exposure when the sun’s UV rays are at their strongest from 10 am to 3 pm.
- Avoid smoking. Smoking lowers blood flow to your skin, particularly on your face, causing thinning of tissues making your skin more likely to wrinkle.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water. This helps your whole body stay healthy by flushing out toxins and enabling efficient cell processes – keeping your skin supple.
- Increase your antioxidants in your diet. Blueberries, cranberries, grapes, and spinach will reduce stress from free radicals to prevent wrinkles.
- Cut down your sugar intake as sugars can increase the rate of collagen breakdown.
- Get enough sleep to give your body a good chance to heal and repair. This is also when your skin cells produce most of your collagen.
- Sleep on your back to avoid repeated compression of your face, which can restrict blood flow to your skin, resulting in weaker skin that is more likely to develop wrinkles and fine lines.
At Forefront Dermatology, we know that life is all about the moments when you don’t need us. That’s why we’re here for all the moments when you do. We offer comprehensive and compassionate care for all skin conditions and create customized treatment plans for all stages and ages – even the tiniest of patients! Find a location near you today.