Chemical Peel Treatment Experts in Warsaw, IN
How does a Chemical Peel work?
A chemical peel is a skin treatment wherein a chemical solution is applied by a skincare specialist to the skin causing it to blister and peel, exposing a new layer and improving appearance.
They come in a range of strengths, from deeper phenol-based peels to more superficial peels like glycolic acid – your dermatologist will recommend the correct strength, and interval for your skin type.
What can a Chemical Peel treat ?
Chemical peels can reduce the appearance of skin conditions like:
- acne scars
- age spots
- aging skin
- crow’s feet
- hyper pigmentation
- rough or uneven skin texture
- sun-damaged skin
What is a Chemical Peel session like?
Your experience will vary depending on the strength of the peel, for light and medium peels you may receive a local anesthetic. For very deep chemical peels, you may require general anesthesia.
After your skin has been numbed, a chemical peel solution is applied to your face and is left to take effect. The amount of time left on your skin will depend on the specific type of peel, from a few seconds up to an hour, as determined by your dermatologist.
Some peels will be neutralized with water, and then a protective mask or layer of petroleum jelly is placed on your treated skin.
What results can be expected from a Chemical Peel ?
Chemical peels will vary in result, depending on the area, skin type, the type of peel and what kind of result you are expecting. It is strongly recommended that you consult a qualified dermatologist, to get the best results.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Which type of chemical peel is right for me?
- Chemical peels vary in type and intensity, your doctor can help you decide the depth of the desired peel and what type of chemical is best for you. This decision is based on your skin type, which areas you want peeled, what kind of results you want, how much risk you are willing to take, and other things. A small "test spot" may be peeled to get a better idea of the results, especially for people who have darker skin.
- Are there any preparations before a chemical peel?
- Your dermatologist will recommend a skincare routine 2-3 weeks to ensure a more uniform peel and a faster healing period after the peel. It may also reduce the chance of infection and other problems, especially uneven color changes in the skin. In some cases, daily use of tretinoin (Retin-A) is also suggested. This is a medicine you apply to your skin. It is most often used to treat acne, but it may speed healing after a peel.
- Chemical peel post-care
- While healing times will vary on the type of chemical peel you had done, proper skincare is very important and will speed up healing time, help results last longer, and prevent infection. * Cleaning the skin often with water or a special wash from your doctor. * Changing the dressing or ointment on the wound (for medium and deep peels). * Moisturizing the skin daily. * Avoiding any sun exposure until peeling has stopped and sunscreen can be used.
- Are chemical peels safe?
- With most chemical peels, adverse reactions are rare, but can include scarring, numbness, and infection. Following mild to medium peels, patients can expect some relatively common chemical peel side effects, such as mild irritation, redness, and peeling. In rare cases deep peels using phenol can cause more severe problems during treatment. As with any medical procedure, it is best to consult with a trained dermatologist who can best evaluate the best procedure based on your wants, while taking your health into account.
Get Chemical Peel treatment at Warsaw, Indiana
Call (574) 349-9242 or fill out the consult form to request your appointment today.