What is Hyperhidrosis (Excessive Sweating) ?
Perspiration is the body’s way of regulating the temperature in cases of extreme heat. Hyperhidrosis occurs when the perspiration is excessive and when temperature regulation triggers do not exist.
Hyperhidrosis most often affects the:
- Soles of the feet
- Groin area
Hyperhidrosis can cause nuisances such as the need to change clothing, but can also have a devastating effect in social or business situations where it is negatively perceived by others.
What Causes Hyperhidrosis?
The triggers of hyperhidrosis have not been precisely determined. However, it is believed that the condition is both inherited, known as primary hyperhidrosis, and acquired, known as secondary hyperhidrosis. The exact reason for developing secondary hyperhidrosis is unknown, but scientists have some evidence connected to changes in the pituitary gland and the thyroid. Other connections have been made with:
- Allergic reaction to medications
- Stressful situations can trigger the condition.
The symptoms of hyperhidrosis include:
- Abnormal amounts of sweating
- Excessive sweating when conditions for sweating do not exist
- Night sweats in normal health
Chances of developing secondary hyperhidrosis (not inherited) rise in people who:
- Are allergic to certain medications
- Are in menopause
- Suffer from low blood sugar
- Develop an overactive thyroid gland
- Have some forms of cancer
- Have suffered a heart attack
What Can Treat Hyperhidrosis?
Treatment options for hyperhidrosis include:
- Prescription antiperspirants
- Surgery on certain sweat glands or nerves
- Oral medication
- Botox® injections
- Iontophoresis (electrical current therapy)
- miraDry® (electromagnetic therapy)
Get Hyperhidrosis Treatment treatment at Salisbury, Maryland
This Forefront Dermatology clinic, is led by board-certified dermatologists, Dr. Elizabeth Burke, Dr. Howard Hines and Dr. Luette Semmes, offering Hyperhidrosis Treatment treatment to the residents of Salisbury, Maryland.
Call (410) 546-4431 or fill out the consult form to request your appointment today.